Commissioners approve countywide burn ban

The Garvin County Board of Commissioners approved a countywide burn ban Monday, as drought conditions continue to hang on across the area. The 14-day burn ban resolution is expected to remain in effect through April 6.

Speaking during the board’s regular meeting Monday, Garvin County Emergency Management Director David Johnson said county firefighters have battled multiple grass fires over the last week, several of which began as controlled burns. He said fire departments have also responded to one structure fire in the Elmore City area, as well as a fire involving a semitrailer on Interstate 35 that closed portions of the roadway for several hours over the weekend.

With little moisture forecast for the area over the next 10 days, Johnson said the fire danger is expected to remain elevated. Johnson said a burn ban provides county officials with an additional tool to help protect citizens.

Western portions of the county are currently experiencing extreme drought conditions, according to the March 19 report from the U.S. Drought Monitor. The rest of the county is experiencing moderate to severe drought.

As of Wednesday, Garvin County was one of 21 Oklahoma counties with an active burn ban resolution in place.

Garvin County’s burn ban resolution prohibits outdoor burning including campfires, bonfires and burning brush or trash. It does allow outdoor cooking on charcoal and gas grills positioned over a nonflammable surface and at least five feet from flammable vegetation.

The resolution also includes specific provisions to allow for activities such as welding and using grinders, cutting torches and road equipment.

To view the entire burn ban resolution visit gcnewsstar.com.